Andoru's Kendo Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Practise, practise and more practice...

...that's the key to perfecting waza.

It's been a fun week when it comes to practising waza. Last Friday (18th March), which happened to be Kitagawa Takeya's final training before returning to Japan, we practised (at Sydney Uni's dojo). amongst others, kote-nuki-men (by raising arms up), nuki doh, men kaeshi doh, morote and katate tsuki.

Last night at Master Kim's dojo, we practised quite a few waza:

(1) 4 types of kote defence: (i) kote-kaeshi-kote; (ii) kote-suriage-kote; (iii) kote-harai-men and (iv) kote-nuki-men (one type is via raising the arms up, the other one one by raising arms in a semi-circle).

(2) Debana kote - Master Kim's favourite waza. I find it much easier to execute debana kote if the opponent raises his shinai, thereby exposing his kote. Master Kim said that if the opponent cuts men using small movement (such as semete-men), to execute debana kote involves lowering the shinai, crossing it below opponent's shinai and then strike kote.

We did shiai-geiko (ippon shobu) afterwards. Master Kim was kind enough to let me score a men cut on him. Lost to both Jimmy and Johnny via debana kote! Ahahahaha.

I received several feedbacks which I'll use as pointers for improvement:

(1) Don't hesitate too much. In Musashi no Ken vol 23, it's pointed out that it's better to have the "not afraid to die" attitude rather than the "must win" attitude. In the latter, one is way too careful.
(2) Try to do 1-step cuts
(3) Improve speed - I've read that speed can be improved if one practises more.
(4) Small men cut. Need to work on that.

Oh,on a small note, yesterday was my first anniversary in bogu. I first wore bogu on March 23, 2004. Thanks to an unfortunate twist of fate, I have been offered a spot as a reserve in Team NSW for this weekend's Australian National Kendo Championships. I will do my best not to let everyone down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home