Andoru's Kendo Blog

Friday, March 04, 2005

Just not my day...

Saturday is a major training day - morning keiko at SKC doju in Willoughby, followed by the NSW kyu squad training in the afternoon.

I woke up with the motivation to want to try suriage waza during jigeiko. I often do men-kaeshi-doh and it does get predictable - my seniors instinctively retract their arms to protect their doh once they noticed that I've blocked their men cut and was about to execute kaeshi doh. I was also inspired by the kote-suriage-men that I saw at the nanadan championship (DVD). I want to expand my repertoire of waza.

I can't remember whether I tried suriage or not at the morning keiko. I had my first sign that things weren't going well then - I played Sano sensei so badly that I lined up to jigeiko him again. He was probably very disappointed at me. Not a good start.

Anyway, at the squad training, Payne sensei talked about the qualities that are needed for senpo, jiho, chuken, fukusho, and taisho. After warm-up, straight into jigeiko but it's 2 motodachi against us. We took turns being motodachi. I played like absolute crap. I tried suriage many times. The problem is that, after executing suriage, I kept on trying to hit men when my aite's kote or doh were more accessible. That happened 3 times in a row. T_T Eventually, I managed to score men-suriage-kote, while going backwards, I stepped on my hakama and fell over. Great. I wasn't 100% mentally and in ki that's for sure. People must be wondering how the heck I managed to get selected to represent NSW in the nationals.

Team-shiai after that. In my team, Kai was senpo, I was jiho and I couldn't remember the others' positions that clearly. I had to play Chris Barbe. Silly me - I went for kote only. Again and again and again. Although Chris is tall, I should try to cut his men anyway. So I lost 2 to 1. I don't mind losing, but the way I lost was deplorable. I remembered Payne sensei saying that jiho is a person who utilises various techniques and carry on and further reinforce the groundwork that has been laid by senpo. I was a very bad jiho indeed. In fact, I think I was the only person who lost in my team. Great +2.

I was substituted out in second round team-shiai and Dino became jiho - a confirmation of how shit I must have played. Great +3.

We had jigeiko afterwards and I didn't really have the heart for it. But I tried anyway. Finally I managed to do both men-suriage-kote and men-suriage-men against Chris. Maybe he took pity on me and let me hit him.

I know that not everyday is Sunday. It just sucks real bad when it happened on a major training day like today - I feel so useless. It seems like the more I train, the worse I get. How depressing.

Anyway, I'm going to Monday's training at Pyrmont. Sensei wants me there.

2 Comments:

  • May be you need some more Musashi no Ken to cheer you up! It's hard to make everyday YOUR day. But is good that you are thinking and acknowledging your mistakes now and correcting them. You might look bad on the day, but eventually you will move to a new higher level. Just keep on trying, you will have YOUR day more frequently in the future.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at 9:56 pm  

  • Thanks Viv!

    After a good night sleep, things didn't seem too bad. I didn't play THAT bad I suppose. I was able to execute new techniques and learned new things. All is not lost.

    By Blogger Andoru, at 7:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home