Andoru's Kendo Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Nittaidai's visit to Sydney

Saturday 12th March 2005 (5pm@Sydney University's Sports and Aquatic Centre):

Nippon Sports Science University (Nittaidai) visit Sydney and Melbourne annually for goodwill keiko and Japanese budo demonstration. It's one of the best sports science university in Japan, especially its kendo department. Their kendo students were hand-picked based on their high school kendo performance, sort of like Australia's Institute of Sports.

The keiko format was straightforward: warm-up, team shiai then jigeiko. For team shiai, there will be 2 dan teams, 1 kyu team and 1 womens team. The dan teams competed in 1 shiai-jo while the kyu and womens teams compete in another shiai-jo.

The kyu team is pretty much defunct, as Nittaidai has no kyu members. I knew I was in for a shock when Payne sensei picked me to be in the team. I ended up playing as senpo, which in this case meant that I'd be the first to die. ;)

As expected, we (all 4 teams) got our butts handed to us on a plate. I lasted a while eventhough I lost. The 2 ippons he scored on me were indeed beautiful. The first one was by nidan waza the execution of which was unique, followed by katate tsuki. Heh - first time I've ever been tsuki-ed in a shiai. Superb ippons over all.

The disparity in Kendo Skill(tm) between the Australians and them is so apparent. I spent a few days thinking about what made them such strong players. My observations:

  1. Superior speed
  2. Superior technique
  3. Live kensen
  4. Strong and active seme
  5. Active exploitation of suki
  6. Strikes executed with sutemi
  7. Never say die attitude
I felt even more motivated after the goodwill keiko. Hopefully someday I will be as crazy as them.

3 Comments:

  • Hey Adrew,

    I found your kendo blog from yahoo accidentaly by inserting the keywords kenjutsu, dojo, and Sydney. Lol....Really nice blog...Expect me to come here often! Cheers....

    NB: I might create one for myself

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:28 am  

  • I wonder where you can find the meaning of all the kendo terms you used in the blog.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:43 pm  

  • Hi Paul,

    Well...do a search at Kendo World (www.kendo-world.com) for a list of names. Unfortunately, the website is down at the moment.

    Here's a start:

    http://www.anthropology.wisc.edu/kendo/club/vocabulary.html

    and

    http://www.rain.org/%7Egalvan/glossary.txt

    By Blogger Andoru, at 8:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home