Andoru's Kendo Blog

Monday, July 04, 2005

The key to de-kote is seme...

That's what Yoshi told me when we were doing jigeiko on Sat.

That's right folks - I went back to training on Saturday and did jigeiko for the first time in 4 weeks! I missed kendo sooooooooooo much!

Bad news is...I've lost heaps of stamina. It's quite apparent, and very shocking. However, there are more good things than bad: for starters, my right heel is now 100%, and my right knee seems to be stronger too. I was able to push my body more when executing a cut and do full fumikomi without pain. Also, the hiatus has allowed me to practise without thinking too much. All I wanted to do was attack, attack and attack. Despite the stamina limitation, I felt great. I was lucky enough to do jigeiko with Payne sensei, Cath, Yoshi and Vivian.

By the way, thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement. I really do appreciate them - made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Arigato gozaimashita! :)

Oh yeah - I digitised a roll of film I took quite a while ago. I have this bad habit of taking photos of my kendo injuries (only unique ones), and here's a picture of a missed gyaku doh:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

10 Comments:

  • ewwwwwww, that photo is so disgusting, revolting, horrifying, ....!

    All I can say is, Oouch!

    Anyway, it's so nice to see you back at training. And thank you for the jigeiko on Saturday too!

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at 9:59 pm  

  • Nice flesh shot. Trying to raise the "hit" rate of your blog hey?

    Great to have you back Andoru.

    By Blogger Occasional Blogger, at 8:30 pm  

  • Hey Andrew,

    Nice to hear from you again!! I have been absent from Kendo too for two weeks...sigh ~.~' .What do u think is the best way to boost the stamina back to normal?

    By Blogger Scientive, at 7:49 am  

  • You got spanked.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:55 pm  

  • I cringe each time I see that photo. It was a "memorable" hit.

    By Blogger Andoru, at 9:05 pm  

  • Hey Andrew:

    That injury photo is disturbingly attention drawing -__-V.

    Lol..these days my arm doesn't look complete without a bruise or two ~_~..

    Good to see you at training :)... My stamina is gone too, I need to get back into the swing of things.

    Hope everything goes well.

    By Blogger Quoth the raven, at 10:58 pm  

  • Regarding de-kote,you do not have to worry about receiving men when you go for de-kote. Seconed, you have to step forward with your right foot on the same line as the opponent's right foot crossing the centerline. You have to put enough pressure from the centerline and push the opponent's shinai downward or from center to the left a little bit to make your opponent come for your men. You had better fake the opponent showing your target is men to induce his men against you. That is my trick to make the opponent to raise his kensen upward. I hope it will be helpful to practice de-kote. M.Onizuka, Fukuoka, Japan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:50 pm  

  • Love those kendo bruise shots - I'm going to start putting mine on my blog too! ^_^

    By Blogger an9ie, at 8:42 pm  

  • Waahhhhhh!!

    Thats pretty bad!

    i'd give it a 6/10

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:18 pm  

  • Thank you Onizuka sensei for your helpful comments, and thanks to others for the positive sentiments! ^_^

    By Blogger Andoru, at 12:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home