Andoru's Kendo Blog

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Back to Kihon...

Interestingly, Payne sensei picked me to instruct the beginners last Saturday. I have no idea why, as there were many other kendoka more qualified than me for the job. It was good though to slow down and think about kihon, especially in regards to footwork.

4 days later, I bruised my right heel on the concrete floor at Channel 9's TV studio where we did a 6 mins segment on Mornings with Kerry-Anne. I did go for training that evening, but had to resort to assisting Doug with the beginners (we did kata). Towards the end, I spent sometime doing forward ashi-sabaki along the length of the dojo. Itakura sensei saw me doing it and offered a pointer to me: try taking smaller steps. I don't bop up and down that way. Sure enough, I noticed a decrease in kensen movements.

I miss the full kendo training. Let's hope my heel heals well enough for tomorrow's keiko!

1 Comments:

  • I watched the tape playback of Channel 9's Kendo Challenge. The dialogue between Andrew VH and those presenters are hilarious. You guys look so cool on the TV. Man, I wish I were there too!

    Give your bruised heel an ice bath. Just take it easy at tomorrow's training.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at 5:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home