Andoru's Kendo Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Seme 攻め

Wednesday (20th April 2005), SKC:

My foot is about 90%. It's been a week since I'd injured it. I still feel pain whenever I put weight on the right heel, but it's getting better.

I had the privilege of doing jigeiko with Payne sensei (and to a lesser extent, Fukuda sensei). In 30 mins, I only get to do just 1 long jigeiko with Payne sensei and it was worth it. Like any other sensei, he doesn't open if you don't break his center. Instead of wild attacks, I focused on getting good ippons. As I progress in kendo, it became clearer to me how important seme is. People talk about setting up cuts etc, but without seme, there'd be no success.

Seme could mean alot of things, as there are many elements in seme. Kigurai, ki, a live kensen etc are all part of seme. To me, at my level, keeping center is of course a prime consideration, but more importantly, I feel that I should focus on (1) ki, and (2) footwork. Accordingly, in my jigeiko against sensei, I used footwork and ki as basis for my seme.

I'm not entirely sure if my seme has improved, but I feel that it's much easier to initiate a cut after seme. I focused my footwork to adjust maai and to advance. When I got into range I tried 1-step uchiotoshi men. Sometimes I wasn't successful against Payne sensei if I didn't execute uchiotoshi properly, and ended up impaling myself. But I was not discouraged - try and try again. Self-impalation is also a good sutemi exercise! I also used this jigeiko to concentrate less on fumikomi and more on suri-ashi. All in all, it was an excellent jigeiko, eventhough sensei got my kote 3000 times in a row!

The Han Rim Won competition is coming up (May 14th) but my mind isn't focused on that right now. "Now" is all about working on the things that I want to improve on, train, polish and so on. Slowly, but surely, I will improve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home