Andoru's Kendo Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2005

The Essence of Jigeiko

Saturday (15th January 2005):

2 trainings today - regular training in the morning at Willoughby and state kyu squad training in the afternoon at Broadway.

Kirby Smith (current NSW, ACT and Australian kendo champion) honoured us with a rare visit to Sydney Kendo Club in the morning. Naturally, I selected him to be my motodachi as it's a rare opportunity. Waza training with him was excellent! He tried to simulate the realities of a kendo shiai/jigeiko and got us all fired up! In jodan, his cuts are so quick! Outside kendo, he is such a supportive and approachable person. We're so lucky to have him in Australia.

I also took the opportunity to jigeiko Sano sensei, determined to push myself hard. That must have been the longest jigeiko of my life! I tried to relax as much as I can, but exhaustion sets in nonetheless and I found myself breathing hard and gasping for breath at certain stage. I suppose the breathing part was quite okay, but my arms were definitely buggered. He did not let me finish until I've scored a proper ippon on him. My body was so broken down by then that it took me almost 10 mins to recover sufficiently for another jigeiko. I remember removing my men to wipe the stinging sweat from my eyes, and found that my arms were so exhausted that I found it quite a challenge to re-tie the men himo. Nevertheless, I am very glad to have been instructed by Sano sensei and happy in a way because I survived. Now I find myself yearning for more....because I know it's good for me. I even lined up to jigeiko Payne sensei, but didn't get to eventually because he decided that he's had enough before my turn - I should have accepted Vivian's invitation to jigeiko her (someone I will never say no to coz I learn heaps each time) .

I spoke to Sano sensei after keiko about the physical challenges in kendo and he gave me some really good advice. He said that one does one's best kendo when one's tired. It's easy to whack around with gusto when energetic, but what happens when you get tired, he asked? We must try to jigeiko to the point where we're completely exhausted, and then we'll have to endeavour to push ourselves to execute proper cuts. That's the essence of jigeiko, he added. I didn't really understand at first, I must admit. I thought about it quite often and I believe that I finally understand what he means. Kendo is about developing one's character through the applications of the katana. When we get tired in jigeiko, we try and try to push ourselves - that's character building because we have to overcome physical and mental challenges in order to do so. We become stronger not only physically but also in ki as a result. We can then apply what we have developed in everyday life. This is singularly the most important lesson I've learnt on Saturday.

I found myself pushing hard during the state kyu squad training in the afternoon as a result of Sano sensei's influence. I enjoyed every bit of it. My legs (especially ankles) were heavily stained by the indigo dye of the hakama - proof that I've worked my butt off. In the second half of the training, we were separated into 2 teams led separately by Vivian Yung and Mike Henstock (both are shodan and ex-members of the NSW Kyu Team) - Taisho (team captain) for both team. I was assigned position #1, which I later discovered from this thread to be Senpo. This position is important as the quality of play sets the tone for the shiai - play good and team morale is lifted, and vice versa. Anyway, Vivian picked Chris Barbe (my dojo-mate) to be the senpo of her team. Chris is taller and bigger than me, competing against him has always been hard due to his tai-atari. I tried my best and scored 2 debana-kote (thanks to Master Kim's instructions) while Chris scored a doh on me. Wasted heaps of energy trying to get away from Chris's tai-atari. Anyway, I was relieved that I won that match.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home