Andoru's Kendo Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Kendo and Mortality

Master Kim session #3:

Master Kim announced to the class before the start that the teacher who drowned in this article was the guy we all knew. In fact, when I first visited that dojo 2 mondays ago, that guy was my training partner. Yet I don't know his name and now he's dead.

Master Kim told us that he's one of his close students, and that he was a buddhist sensei in life and teached at his own temple. It's so fitting that he would die this way - by selfless sacrifice to save another. After all, in buddhism, death is just one path. Then there's reincarnation.

Whatever it is, it has affected me not by a small degree. Some people said that death is as natural as birth, though I don't think I'll ever understand it. Sigh.

Training was good as usual. Not physically hard, but tough mentally. I had to rethink alot of my movements, which is a good thing as I've been shown ways to improve. Mike, from UNSW Kendo Club, joined us for keiko. This training's emphasis is on focussing the back and hip to drive ourselves forward. We did this exercise in which we would bend our body backwards first so that the hips is more forward than the upper torse then drive forward for a men cut. That way, we'd get to appreciate hip and back movements. I didn't understand it at first, but it's getting clearer now. I suppose that many kendoka push themselves forward with their upper torsos more than their hips, thus compromising posture. Morever, as Master Kim explained, cuts can be executed quicker and more powerful if the drive is proper and strong, and also minimises counter-attacks from opponents as we'd be much quicker in closing the maai.

We practised both forms of debana kote again and I sucked. I overanalysed things when I should be relaxed. Master Kim used Mohammed Ali as an example: float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!! He said that we have to try to stay relaxed, yet focused at the same time. Better execution of techniques can only be achieved from a body which is relaxed rather than one which is stiff. I must remember that.

In other news, Taek, Master Kim, Mike and myself are buying a kaku obi to help us breathe better and also to emphasize the seika-tanden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home