Andoru's Kendo Blog

Monday, January 17, 2005

The Benefits of being a Kendo Slut

Kendo slut:
  • a kendo freak who trains everywhere
UNSWKC (Monday 17 Jan 2005):

Was feeling restless so I decided to go for training at Uni of New South Wales Kendo Club, much to my girlfriend's chagrin.

Training was fantastic! The main component of it was focused on executing proper migi and hidari men cuts in kiri-kaeshi. Sano sensei slowed the class right down so that we could take the time to execute each cut properly. We did doh kiri-kaeshi as well in this fashion. Payne sensei has often said that one can easily tell a person's kendo abilities just by watching that person's kiri-kaeshi. Therefore, it is excellent training indeed to slow it right down so we could work on improving the cuts. Last night's training complements the training I received from Strenger sensei in December 2004 t the Hornsby dojo when we learned how to execute and receive tai-atari in kiri-kaeshi. Ah the benefits of a kendo slut!!

In jigeiko, I experimented with footwork a lot more. The bouts that I remember the most are between Dino (club president) and Hashimoto snr. Dino and I basically focused on keeping centre and trying to create opportunities via seme - the bout was mentally challenging indeed. It also gave me the opportunity to train with a taller person coz that allows me to experiment with maai as it's harder to reach their men! Hashimoto snr taught me not to flinch at tsubazeriai by creative use of timing (ouch my men!). My opponents scored more ippons against me than I against them. Nevertheless, I feel very much enriched by these experiences. After all, it has been said many times that we must be cut so that we can learn to cut.

A very enriching keiko indeed!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home