Andoru's Kendo Blog

Friday, August 19, 2005

Playing Tall Opponents - learning from Takeshi

After registering to participate in the Australian Uni Games - which will be held in late Sept in Brisbane - I swung by the Sydney Uni dojo to show the guys and gals the photos I took at Founders' Cup.

I didn't plan to stay long, until I noticed that Takeshi was there, and Mike Henstock turned up not long after. Perfect! Now I get to watch them both in action and observe how Takeshi takes on a taller opponent.

The jigeiko between them lasted almost 15 mins. Mitori-geiko was first-rate as I got front-row seat. As expected, Takeshi applied loads of seme. He often made sure that he's within striking distance, which means that he often appeared closer than issoku ito no maai. He tried to control Mike with his seme so that his men didn't seem to be exposed. His kensen at his maai was very close to Mike's kote, closer to Mike's kensen to Takeshi's men. That's a very interesting observation. I noticed that Takeshi constantly used footwork to move his body in and out of maai. His footwork is fluid and he's got explosive power.

Learning from these observations, I'll try to project a more "threatening" image using seme and determined strikes. I'll take any openings available and not just a select area (like men) to complete the offensive arsenal. Also, I need to be prepared to do oji waza. I'll try that against all opponents, but will adjust maai appropriately against taller opponents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home